Google

“BAI” GOD!

Yes, the "Bai" is truly God in our lives, isn't she? All you women out there who run homes and deal with temperamental house help will understand what I'm trying to say. In India, it's hard to ape the west and do household chores ourselves. We have different food habits, different lifestyles, lots of dust….in short we are definitely dependent on the "Bai" or house help!

But, believe me, we have lots to learn from the Bai…
Have you ever noticed their direct approach in life? When they come for a job interview, all they want to know is "how much salary?" They never elaborate on their timings of work, their skills etc.

Noticed their method of getting their due? When they want an advance, they want an advance. If you dilly dally, they threaten to walk out, so you just have to agree.

The Bai has attitude! If you remind her of what you gave her last Diwali, how you paid for her kid's schooling or the advances you gave her when she needed them, and expect gratitude, forget it! She will turn around and say with complete confidence, " But that is your duty, you wanted to do it so you did it. Everybody does it!". Such comments have often left me speechless.

Bais have mastered the art of "mukti" or not being attached to anything or anyone. They are truly evolved and have reached the level of Nirvana because they never get attached to worldly things. If they are working for you, they love your kids, say they are devoted to you and will only work for you! Let someone offer them Rs. 50 more in terms of salary, and they will walk out. There is no attachment, no loyalty or word of honour then.

Every time the Bai takes leave unannounced ( whenever I have guests or have some urgent work to be done) I have threatened her with a salary cut for her absenteeism. But she has always outsmarted me with her innovative thinking: "No body cuts salary, if you don't like my work I will leave" I have never understood the connection, and now I have given up trying to as well. We, and our politicians need to learn from the Bai how to deflect issues. They have mastered the art!

To conclude, all I can say is "Bai God!"
- Rasika

No comments:

Google